Sunday, August 26, 2012

Justice League Beyond: The Beginning.


Set in the Batman Beyond universe, the Justice League Beyond started out as a simple Group that helps others to becoming a powerful PvE League on DCUO. We strive to create versatility within our League structure and to help others when no one else can.

Documented by Deanne "xNighten Gale" Quinzel


DC Universe Online marked the beginning of so many journies that I've embarked upon throughout my online gameplay experiences. Upon announcement back in 2008 at E3 where comic legend, Jim Lee, came out to showcase to the audience some gameplay footage of the MMO, I was instantly hooked not just by the gameplay alone but by the sheer amount of creative freedom that's allowed in this game.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you can create virtually anything in this game but the options are near-limitless. Granted, I'm not a MMO geek so to speak, so when learning this game was going to be a bit frustrating. But for me, I'm an avid comic fan (and Artist) so I couldn't help but imagine how I wish to have my own characters come to life, running around the streets of Little Bohemia in Metropolis, where dwells one of Earth's champions, Superman.

Speaking of Metropolis, how often can you say that you could fly over the Daily Planet? Or to work alongside The Dark Knight Batman, or wave to the Amazonian Warrior, Wonder Woman, in our daily lives? DCUO captivates and opens your perspective thoughts on the what you've been reading as a child and breathe life into the Cities and Landscapes in the Towns that grew up knowing and loving. So you wondered where STAR LABS stationed? It's just a hop, skip and a jump (literally) away. The scenery alone justifies why I absolutely love this game. When you go to Metropolis, you just don't only see the City from your eyes, you feel it through the music that bursts immediately when your feet touches the pavement of the sidewalk. When you are in Gotham, the moody energy that surrounds the muddled-looking City full of Scarecrow's smog and Poison Ivy's flura and fauna broods the means streets filled with Joker's Clown Henchmen and Bane's Thugs. You get the sense of justice to be served when you are either a Hero or the feeling to cause wreckless havoc as a Villian, these Maps help breathe life to the story you tell with your newly created character.

And nothing says character creation than DCUOs. When I first started my character's name (don't laugh, though you will) was "Robyn", who was the female version of the gender opposite "Boy Wonder". Seeing as how my love for one of my all-time favorite DC properties airing on Kid WB at the time, Batman Beyond, I wanted to create something original and not just total knock-offs like how I see many would do in the game. Not knocking anyone that wishes to create their favorite comic superheroes or the inspirations thereof (I've a couple of characters based from my favorite video game IPs), but I wanted something fresh upon my stable. So back in Beta, I wanted to create someone who could chick butt and take it beyond a step further in imagination. But you see, this is where the fun really begins for me because creating your favorite character naturally takes time. You can't truly rush through the create a character at the time because the Mentor you've choose at the time were how it affects your armor loadout and role direction. So choosing Batman to be your Mentor and having Tank powers, while great for some kind of character imagination, just wouldn't fly and work at that time. So you had to choose wisely: did you want to be a powerful Tank and control aggro with Fire and Ice? Or to stay back from distance and Heal others with the use of Sorcery and Nature? Or to debuff and send your enemies into a fearful frenzy while supplying power to your friends and teammates through control powers of Mental and Gadgets? You see, presentations like this makes you think not just what sort of hero you wish to create but what you wish to accomplish. That, in itself, is just something I find very intriguing and fascinating.

Upon completing your character creation, it's time you wake up out if statsis and do something that you never thought you had to do: escape an Alien Battleship. With the help of Oracle (or if you're a Villian, The Calculator) and upon planning your escape, you'll be facing off against Brainiac's Battle Units that will to make you their *ahem* "female dog" (for the reader friendly) but luckily, you find that upon beating them down into scrap heap you gain powers based on your choice in your creation process. Once you've reached the Ship's Containment Point and take out Brainiac's Gun and kick his Unit into the trash compactor, it's time to endure a horde of Units, as they swarm your way. Thankfully, help arrives just in time in the form of Superman (or Lex Luthor). From there, it's about turning those Soliders and Followers into garbage bins and afterwards, all you hear is orcale telling you to finally leave the Ship while you can and I exit, as I'm greeting to Jim Lee's beautifully rendered art.

This sort of experience, to me, really gives this game some body and depth that it needs. If anything, this is why I login to DCUO everytime. It provides me great thrills and, more often than not, to meet new players and possible friends. The game constantly changes each day and as it presents a certain quality that I can't find in any other MMO, so does the replay value.

From reading this introduction, I'm sure you're bound to create the next hero and fight alongside us. The question, however, isn't when but if you're ready for the next level of experience.

If so, then welcome to the light of many articles, blogs, and thoughts abound.

Welcome to Justice League Beyond.


-Deanne Abigail Quinzel

No comments:

Post a Comment